NonSenseNYC Prejudice Against Young Naturists

| December 4, 2011 | 7 Comments

Nonsensenyc prejudice against Young Naturists America – Nudism and Naturism is still a problem for many!

Why NonSenseNYC Refuses To Work With YNA

NonSenseNYC – Let me start off by saying that I (Jordan) am not looking to shame anyone, and businesses have to make decisions based on what they think will prove to be the best for them. I posted this interaction because I want people to understand what we have to deal with on a daily basis and that there is still much work to be done. In every event that is held, people need to be aware of the fact that any misbehavior may count against us all – so please keep that in mind when attending the next nudist event or location in your area.

While we are making some headway in mainstream America, there is still much work to be done! Below you will see the interaction between Jordan from Young Naturists America & Jeff from Nonsensenyc.com – Nonsense is a website / newsletter that covers all kinds of events in the NYC area – we contacted them with the hopes of working with them to promote our Nude Years Eve Party.

On Dec 3, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Young Naturists wrote:

Hi there – how can I list a new years eve event with you?

On Dec 3, 2011, at 1:12 PM, Jeff Starkwrote:

hi,
is it the nudist new year’s thing in new jersey?
j

On Dec 4, 2011, at 3:46 AM, Young Naturists wrote:

Yes :) you’ve heard about it! That is awesome – were you planning to attend?

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 4, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Jeff Stark wrote:

no. sorry. i think someone from your group has sent a few listings already. sorry, but i wont run it. i’ve had this conversation several times over the years, but i dont list sex stuff. im sure that youre going to argue that being naked is not about sex, and i’m sure that’s true. however, it’s connected to something about the sex parties in that both can go very wrong if they’re even on the edge of creepy. i personally am not in that world, and i dont really know anyone who is. that means i have no idea of knowing if your party is creepy.

this is not a fair decision, but it’s one that i feel confident in: i can’t cover everything, and some subcultures deserve their own listings.
i wish you luck with your show.

best,

j

Hey Jeff,

Thank you for getting back to me. Let me start off off by saying that you are 100% correct a- you have no idea what you are talking about and b- your decision is an unfair one. This closed minded ultra conservative approach is the very thing we are trying to combat almost every day. It is your call, your business and I respect that – but I would appreciate it tremendously if you would please refrain from making such uninformed assumptions about something that you yourself claim to have no knowledge about. That being said – while I disagree with your reasoning and narrow minded approach I do respect your decision.

All the best,

Jordan and The whole YNA Family

Sent from my iPhone

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Jeff Stark wrote:

thanks for your respect.

Blogs and Posts About Social Nudity by Young Naturists and Young Nudists America

Tags: , , ,

Category: Social Nudity Blogs, Public Nudity, Nudism and Naturism, Social Activism

About the Author ()

Jordan Blum is a lifelong nudie and co-founder of Young Naturists America.
  • Ralph

    I just want to say how much I appreciate your members providing assistence in the annual Naturist Youth Camp at SunSports Garden If it hadn't been for your volunteer help it would have been difficult getting volunteer support.

    Keep up the fight to change the culture's opposition to social Nudism. Even though I am well outside your age range to be a member of YNA, I will continue to support your efforts.

  • JBlum

    Hey Sonny, thank you for this beautiful comment. Sometimes we do need to step back and look at the bigger picture of all that we're doing! In the past year YNA has grown in leaps and bounds, and it's inspiring to be at the point where one can call us a "big deal" :) At the same time we're always thinking of how much more we want to accomplish!

    I didn't dwell too much on this Nonsense NY nonsense. As you say, the rejection is news too, so we tried to look on the bright side, but it still sucks ;)

  • Sonny

    Yeah, you guys are a big deal. Realize it. Like by starting your own organization in contrast to the those nudist organizations that have been around for many, many years. I saw the massive press from Occularpation Wall Street. I agree, Felicity inspired Occupy Wall Street, even if most aren't in the know enough to acknowledge it. I saw the press release not long ago. I saw the Failure Mag story that is an entire misnomer, as you guys are an admirable success.

    So don't get jaded so easily. The rejection is a news story itself. Combined with your credible claim to Felicity's role in inspiring OWS and your huge leap in starting an entirely new nudist organization, you have many mainstream news stories in the making. You're continuing a long tradition. No need to get bogged down in all those things you're not. Be fascinating as you are.

  • Naked Sun

    Not sure that it's fair here to use a man's real name from a respectable newspaper and copy and paste personal emails, especially if you are not going to use your own real name "Jordan." If you want respect from people and don't want to be viewed as "creepy" then put it all out there. Go meet the guy. Tell him your real name. Don't hide behind email addresses and Facebook accounts. I am not pointing at you specifically but US as naturists.

    • JBlum

      Hey Naked Sun,

      First off I love honesty and you are pointing at me – just read the post again (even though you wrote it). Second – Worked well for Twain, Orwell and a ton of others, so I dont see why you would even bring that up. Third – you are good at being critical of what I said and how I said it but you did not even mention a thing about the the way we were treated – should I assume you agree with them? And lastly – you take the time to write and criticize me about not using my "real name" but you go by Naked Sun and did not even sign your name – got to love the hypocrisy in this world :)

  • Murray Schechter

    I sent the following email to Jeff:

    Hi Jeff,

    I've been a subscriber to Nonsense NYC for many years. I just found out about your reluctance to list their New Year's Eve party, and I'd like to try to convince you tor rethink your decision.

    I'm a professional, 48 year old man who has been a part of the naturist world for around a dozen years, and I do see your point. Some events advertising themselves as naturist are kind of masquerading themselves there. I personally have no problem with these "othere" events, but when the organizers choose to misrepresent themselves, this hurts the "real" naturist events. And I get that you don't have the background in the community to know which are which.

    So let me help.

    I notice that you're still listing the naked yoga program, so I guess you're convinced that event isn't "creepy". And it isn't. I actually had a hand in getting that program started many years ago, where I discovered that I personally am not a yoga person. But I'm glad it's still going on today, and that it's remained true to its roots.

    I can assure you that the Young Naturists of America is also a respectable naturists organization. I know the people running it, their background is in "real" naturism. Their events that I've been to are not at all sexually oriented. It's just a completely different vibe.

    I hope this helps you with your decision.

    Thanks for listening,

    — Murray

  • Tom Mulhall

    Hi Jordan, You are so right. Nudism has a long way to go in getting mainstream acceptance. However, YNA is doing a great job in getting us there.

    Your comment "Every event that is held needs to be aware of the fact that any misbehavior may count against us all – so please keep that in mind when attending the next nudist event or location in your area," is very true. For instance, two people acting sexual on a nude beach can get it shut down. The authorities will ignore the thousands of people enjoying the sun and beach and focus on the couple misbehaving.

    Also working against us are sleazy sex clubs and swinger clubs and resorts calling themselves nudist resorts and/or clothing optional clubs. These sex clubs give nudism a bad reputation. I battle that all the time as most of them are very misleading because they are only in their businesses for the money and sex.

    One thing that has helped our business and nudism tremendously is I am a past president of the Palm Springs Chamber of Commerce. Whenever people say we are no different than sex clubs I bring up that fact along with a few others (like currently being a member of the Palm Springs Convention Visitor Authority Small hotel advisory committee) to show that we are well accepted in our community. You are more than welcome to say we are one of your business sponsors and mention this info if you think it will help you in the future.

    Also if there is some mainstream organizations by you like a Chamber of Commerce you should.

    Keep up the great work.

    Tom