The Latest Naked News and What We’re Reading This Week
We’re experimenting with a new weekly column at YNA: Naked News Roundup. Here we will present links to the latest stories online about naturism, nudity, body image, events and more. We’ll curate this list based on our favorite stories and what we find most noteworthy.
Some of these articles may be a few weeks old, but that means we still find them worth reading. And then sometimes we find (or rediscover) stories from years ago that are still relevant, so there’s an “Oldie But Goodie” section for those.
I’m including a note with each link that will, at a minimum, tell you what it’s about.
So without further ado, here’s the naked news we’re reading this week!
– How naturism supports feminism is not discussed frequently enough. The issues of catcalling and sexual objectification are much less of a problem in a true naturist environment. A young, female employee at Bare Oaks Naturist Park talks about how she sees feminism and naturism intersect. The article is a little bit all-over-the-place, but it’s great to see a woman discussing this on a naturist blog. [The Bare Oaks Blog]
– One writer argues that the true absurdity of Steven Gough’s naked ramblings is the huge amount of money wasted in jailing him. (This story gives an overview of Gough’s decade-long naked crusade if you’re not familiar with it.) Gough is currently serving a 2.5 year sentence in prison and is expected to shed his clothes again upon release. [The Daily Mail]
– According to an international study by the U.S. National Sleep Foundation, one in three adults sleep naked. It’s not only comfortable, but beneficial to one’s health. Here’s a scientific look at the benefits of sleeping naked, with new research about how it can reduce your risk of diabetes. [The Daily Mail]
The Free The Nipple trailer is out! The IFC movie will premiere in theaters on December 12th in Los Angeles and New York (and will move onto other cities I’m sure). It will also be available on iTunes / video on demand. And yeah, the nipples are censored in this trailer. There’s also an uncensored teaser from April. I guess they had to play by IFC’s rules (and ultimately, the MPAA’s rules).
New York Mag asked 57 women to draw their own boobs and write a quick note on how they feel about them. Sort of like a mini, hand-drawn version of Bare Reality. Looks like Laura Dodsworth started a trend!
– On December 3rd, Isis Phoenix is starting a women’s naked yoga class in Leominster, Massachusetts. She plans to start a co-ed naked yoga class as well, once she procures a bigger space.
– Naked yoga is becoming more and more of a trend! An instructor in Calgary, Canada just added a co-ed naked yoga class to her schedule. [The Huffington Post]
– A woman in London shares her story of trying naked yoga and overcoming her naked fears. [The Huffington Post]
An impressive photo series called “Man & Mortar” features parkour athlete Jason Paul naked and prancing around London’s beautiful architecture. [Mashable]
Northeast Nudie Events
This winter, journey naked into all dimensions with a special edition of Holy Body Worship in NYC. Rev. Goddess Charmaine and Beth Nolan will lead a New Year’s ceremony with naked yoga. Beth Nolan’s event page.
Oldie But Goodie
This 1998 article on naturism and anti-nudity laws is on-point and still a good read. Some of the laws discussed may have changed or were never passed, but there’s no question that we’re still dealing with these types of laws today. And as the author points out, they affect everyone, not just nudists / naturists. [Sorry, this link is currently broken.] (Support the Naturist Action Committee to help curb such oppressive, ridiculous laws! http://naturistaction.org)
What did we miss? Share what naked news you’re reading in the comments!
Naked News by – Young Naturists and Nudists America YNA