Naked News Roundup: You Look Good Naked Man!
Latest Naked News Stories: Zelda Suplee and Looking Good Naked Man!
– Shirley Mason, executive director of the B.E.A.C.H.E.S. Foundation, has officially announced the “Naturist Unity Summit” that her and her team are organizing for February 2015. They created an acronym name, “U.N.I.T.E.” – United Naturist / Nudist International Trade / Travel Educational Events. The summit is meant to bring together leaders from various nudist organizations and businesses so they can work together within the nudist movement.
This is a one-day event taking place at Haulover Beach Park and a nearby hotel on Wednesday, February 15th. The registration fee is $60, and attendance is capped at 100 people.
– After their success with establishing Mpenjati Beach as South Africa’s first official naturist beach, SANNA didn’t waste any time pursuing the next one — Sandy Bay. Sign their petition to help make Sandy Bay an official nude beach!
– Looking at the body that gave birth to you seems to be incredibly challenging for some people. Body shaming and body phobia run rampant in this woman’s story of accompanying her mom and siblings to a nude resort in France.
Her husband and kids stayed home because “No boy should have to see his grandmother naked.” What’s wrong with Grandma? Is she some kind of deformed monster? Omg, are we going to look like that someday?
– How would you respond if someone said to you, “If I had your body I’d kill myself”? Body image / fat activist and documentary film producer Lindsey Averill is a fierce and forgiving woman.
She’s working on a documentary called Fattitude that “exposes how popular culture fosters weight bias and fat hate, and then offers an alternative way of thinking — embracing body acceptance at all sizes.” She recently wrote about the sort of awful things people say to her because she’s fat and shares her perspective on fat shaming. [xojane]
– Artist Aleah Chapin does some amazing, realistic nude paintings. Here’s a new interview with her from The Kind Artist. Apparently her work has been called “repellent,” and she responds, “If our culture will call a healthy (yet not unrealistically perfect) body ‘repellent,’ then it’s something we as a society need to look at.”
– Photographer Fred Huening documents the “magic of motherhood” in this lovely series of photos. [Huffington Post]
– How do you ensure your art exhibition will sell out? Make it a naked event. A gallery in London is hosting a clothing-optional exhibition that “discusses and dissects the seemingly unacceptable.” It’s called Forbidden and features over a dozen artists. It takes place in January and has sold out, but there is a waitlist. [artlyst]
BuzzFeed invited some “guy best friends” who have never seen each other naked to go on camera and see each other’s bodies (penises, really) for the first time.
Who knows how much of it is real, but the boys are pretty cute about it. One bff pair compliment each other saying, “You look pretty good naked, man!” Then they practice helicoptering their penises, which you can’t see, but ya know, use your imagination.
Moments in Nudist History
Zelda Suplee (using the pseudonym Yolande Reed in this video) owned and managed three nudist clubs starting in the 1930’s, one of which was Sunny Rest Resort. She sold Sunny Rest to Irv Mesher in 1978. According to this biography, Zelda had quite an interesting life.
In the 60’s she ran an organization to help transgender people, was involved in pioneering psychic research, and appeared in Playboy as the first full-frontal nude in black and white (Perhaps in a feature on nudism?
We haven’t figured out what issue / what year). She was also in a few nudist movies, including Diary of a Nudist (1961). In this funny clip, she is featured in an episode of a show called “What’s My Line?” in 1953.
We love the fact that she corrected a contestant on using the term “nudist camp” instead of “nudist colony.”
– Here is a fascinating history of sex education in the United States. [Collector’s Weekly]
What did we miss? What are you reading this week? Share in the comments!
This Naked News roundup which includes Look Good Naked Man and Zelda Suplee was published by – Young Naturists and Nudists America
Category: Naked News